Saturday, October 27, 2007

FSOSS 2007 (part 2)

Wow. The Free Software & Open Source Symposium (FSOSS) sure attracts some interesting people.

I enjoyed all the talks I attended but I want to specifically mention David Eaves' presentation titled "Community Management as Open Source's Core Competency" where he took a critical look at communication and negotiation in open source communities. It was just great. I also enjoyed the colourful session which followed, by Jesse Hirsh, "The Problem with Open Source: Know Your History". During both of these talks I found it refreshing to stand back and take a critical look at the open source communities. I am sorry to have missed the related BOF, but I had a lunch date with Frank Hecker from the Mozilla Foundation to discuss accessibility and to blue sky for a bit; which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Anyways I feel honoured to have been invited by David Humphrey to give a talk on Accessible DHTML, which I had more teasingly titled "Accessible Rich Internet Applications". Simon Bates and I co-presented on Friday and discussed and demonstrated keyboard control, ARIA semantics, and other bits related to our Dojo toolkit work. I think Simon's iterative coding demo showed that adding keyboard and semantics to DHTML is not that difficult, but is undeniably important; which was our main goal.

For those interested, Simon has provided the slides and source code on his site.

3 comments:

Fastbet said...

This web site is really a walk-through for all of the info you wanted about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and you’ll definitely discover it…. Agen Bola

Isc. Ertequeraa said...

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. our website
And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him smile Thus let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch!

Fitri Elviani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.